Thursday, May 2, 2013

Happy Camper

Camping

Oddly enough, I didn't finish Camp NaNoWriMo. It's odd because I'm still exceptionally proud of what I accomplished. I didn't finish a book. I did, however, sit down and write 30k over the first two and a half weeks of the month. That's nothing to sneeze at. Even more important, I found the vibe for said book. I discovered that my original setting didn't work. I found a new one. I fleshed out characters that had been half-voices in my head.

I didn't reach my original goal, but I found a new one. During the course of the month, in addition to figuring out where I was going with the NaNo novel, I planned out how I was going to break up another existing story into three novellas. Well, possibly one novel and two novellas, but the planning is still done. Plotting vs. doing doesn't sound productive to a lot of people, I'm sure, but sometimes getting over the mental hurdles is far more challenging for me than doing the work. Now it's about sitting down, rewriting, editing, and making everything work.

And that's what the rest of the year is for, right?

No comments: