Monday, April 4, 2011

Book Review: The King's Dragon

This is the first book I've read of the Eleventh Doctor adventures (one of my best friends had gotten me one of the Nine books previously). But I was jonesing something awful for new Who while waiting for the new season, and when I found this on sale in a Borders that was closing down... well, how could I say no?

While I will say that the writing style can become redundant at times (there's repetition of phrasing that a stronger editor would have nipped in the bud), this is definitely a fun read. Like the series, it is just a step above a young adult vibe in terms of tone and complexity. The book offers a fast read and a fun story that likely wouldn't work on the small screen due to budget concerns - which means it's ideal for use as a novel.

The characters are well written and just as lively as they are onscreen, and the geek in me thrilled at finding Star Wars and Buffy references in the dialogue. What more could a girl ask for?

2 comments:

Chad Moore said...

It sounds terrific! Being a little wary of approaching those initial Eleventh Doctor novels (mostly because I doubted they would have captured his character when Series 5 had yet to air) I'm pleased to hear that "The King's Dragon" was enjoyable.

Beth Howard said...

I never even thought to look at the publication dates, but I'm guessing this one definitely came out after the series had started given how well she nailed the character dynamic.