Sunday, November 7, 2010

Best Miniseries You've Never Seen: I, Claudius

Hopefully some of you HAVE seen this amazing series, but for those who haven't, I, Claudius is a brilliant miniseries produced by the BBC in the 70s. The star is the absolutely brilliant Derek Jacobi. Given how many geeks follow here, some of you have probably seen him in Doctor Who in his all too brief stint as The Master.

This thing is drama from start to finish. Without being particularly over the top, it manages to be sick and twisted and soap operatic but with brilliant acting. Rocky Horror fans should watch for Patricia Quinn looking lovely and being downright slimy.

If you're not somebody who watches much in the way of TV or movies, I'd suggest reading the books that the series is based on, I, Claudius and Claudius the God by Robert Graves. It's historical fiction without being the least bit dry or stodgy. Totally worth a read!

2 comments:

Chad Moore said...

Huge thanks for my copy!

Beth Howard said...

Anytime! I'm always happy to help. hehe