Monday, February 15, 2010

The Wolfman

Despite the link, I'm actually talking about the newest version of the Wolfman starring Benecio Del Toro. It's a movie that I'm somewhat torn about. I enjoyed it. Let's get that out of the way first. In no way am I suggesting that it wasn't a fun film to watch.

But I find myself unable to decide whether I like that it kept some of the cliche vibe that was so much fun in old school horror movies or if I'm put out that they weren't more creative about the story. One thing that they did nail regardless is the details. The costuming, the settings, the ways people reacted to things, the scenery... it was all absolutely beautifully handled.

If you're someone who can't handle a little gore, you might be put off by this new incarnation since there is definitely some blood and guts (literally), but if you're a fan of, say, From Hell, this will be right up your alley.

1 comment:

Beth Howard said...

lol I'd disagree... but I don't. You aren't a bit wrong. heh And, yes, I would actually say my feelings on this one are very much like my feelings on Sherlock Holmes. It was entertaining, I enjoyed it while I was watching it, but neither were the kinds of movies that got under my skin and made me fall madly in love.