Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Chocolate Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting

I should have taken a shot of it cut too, and maybe I'll remember to before it's gone, but this is the cake I made for Wes for his birthday. It is a two layer chocolate cake (dark chocolate on bottom with pudding mixed in for moisture and devil's food on top). And to top it all off? Homemade cream cheese icing, which I am very, very proud of. I'm so proud that I'm actually going to share the recipe. It's only very slightly modified from the original I got from AllRecipes.com, but I didn't want it quite as sweet, and obviously I wanted it chocolate-y. I did make a HUGE batch of icing, so for a cake this size (8" or 9" rounds), you can probably cut it in half or at the very least cut it down by 1/4 or so.

Chocolate Cream Cheese Icing
2 packages cream cheese (softened)

3 1/2 cups confectioner's sugar
1 cup cocoa (it may have actually been just shy of 1c)
2 sticks butter (softened) 
1 tsp vanilla

This is a super easy recipe. You beat the butter and cream cheese together until they're creamy and well mixed. Then you put in the vanilla and the  cocoa. You stir that until it's mixed. Then you start adding the sugar in - once again, stirring. The biggest problem I had is that my arms are weak and wussy and started hurting as I stirred in all that sugar. lol But in the end the icing is delicious and well worth the effort.

2 comments:

Silvia said...

Looks good! Who Needs a 1200 Calorie Diet Plan? :p

Chad Moore said...

Makes my mouth water!